Whether you are an existing business or a new business, you always have to choose between optimizing your site for search engines like Google or for your customers?
A lot of companies focus only on search engines, which might get them better rankings but compromises on their customer experience. With high speed internet, the customer attention span has reduced even further. Today’s customer, wants all the information instantly to complete the objective of their search. It could be finding what services you offer or they might be interested in buying a product you sell.
Think about ways how you can improve your customer experience. If you are an e-commerce site, there are many ways you can improve your customer experience. For example:
- Product Info: It is absolutely critical to include as much product info as available for your customers. Detailed descriptions, videos (where available), part numbers and past customer reviews of the product all help your customers make an informed decision.
- Clear pricing with all taxation included & highlighted. This helps the customer know the actual price they are going to pay for the product.
- Currency: If you sell globally, always display the price in your customers local currency.
- Volume Discounts: If you offer bulk discounts, always display the volume needed and automatically apply the discounts on the cart.
- Sale price: Always display the full price, less the discount and the final sale price for the product with all taxes displayed and highlighted.
- Special Promotions: If you are running a special promotion that offers a discount on the products you sell by entering a code; always offer the customer to check for current promotional codes. From your customers point of view, you helped them find a discount which they might have missed and they will think highly of your business.
- Returns Policy: A clear and highlighted link to your returns policy. It is your customers right to know about your returns policy. This builds confidence between your customer and your business. A lot of businesses offer a vague returns policy leaving it open for interpretation, which does more harm then any good. If you know the customer is facing a genuine issue, it might be worthwhile to take the extra step and offer refunds. This proves to them that your business cares about their customers.
- Shipping Policy: This is an absolutely critical requirement. The customers need to know how long it will take for them to receive their product. Some customers are impatient and others are calm.
- Insurance: Thousands of parcels goes missing everyday. If you do offer insurance on shipping, always mention it clearly and ask your customers to consider purchasing insurance.
- Tracking: Let your customers know if they can track their order. Provide them tracking numbers and links to track in your confirmation emails. There are mainly 2 advantages with this, customer is aware at what stage is their order and they can plan accordingly when their order is going to be delivered to be always present to collect it.
- What if there is a problem? However seamless the process might be, there are always going to be problems. Providing your customers a clear ability to connect with you in case of issues, goes a long way in building confidence about your business.
There are some SEO requirements that make perfect sense like speed; on the other hand there might be requirements that are good for SEO, but implementing them compromises the user experience.
With any SEO, one thing to always keep in mind is that search engines are not your customer. Search engines are simply a medium that connects you with your customers. So with all your SEO marketing services always optimize your site for your customers.
In a nutshell, focus on your customers whilst keeping search engines in mind.
This is not an exhaustive list, please let us know what you think might help your customers.